Monday, June 8, 2009

Sunday

Today started at Denny's, and is also ending at Denny's. Yeah. Weird.

Anyhow, here are some highlights:
  • We drove from Needles, CA, to the Grand Canyon this morning. It was a pretty uneventful trip. We listened to my "Sunday" playlist, which I think I did a darn good job creating.
  • We arrived at the Grand Canyon early afternoon and spent some time wandering around the rim and taking lots of photos. Jess said it best when she said, "That's a really cool rock." 
  • After stopping for some food, we headed to Flagstaff. This is where I kind of screwed up. Ok, not kind of. For some reason, I was under the impression that our hotel for tonight - the Wigwam - was in Flagstaff. When we got there, we called to find out how to get there, and I was informed that it is actually in Holbrook, 91 miles east of Flagstaff. Oops. So... we continued on our journey.
  • Between Flagstaff and Holbrook lies the little gem of Winslow. Yes, as in, "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" from the Eagles song, "Take it Easy." There is actually a little park dedicated to this lyric, including a statue of a man - standing on the corner - a mural, and a flatbed Ford. We got some fun pics.
  • Then we made it to our destination for the evening: the Wigwam Motel. I'm pretty sure that 'Mater from Cars is parked right by our wigwam. But we haven't run into Lightning McQueen yet... The wigwam is pretty small on the inside, but hey, how many people can say they've slept in a wigwam?
  • We had dinner at a charming Italian restaurant where we overheard the waitress ask someone to "make" her a Sierra Mist. She also asked if we were geologists. Huh?
I think that's it for now. Tomorrow we are heading to Albuquerque.

No comments:

Post a Comment